Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Chorizo and Mint Tea

With a significantly reduced work load (perhaps even pre-IB level ) and my host mom packing my lunch on certain days, I feel like I'm back in high school.
Although, my real mom never gave me chorizo sandwiches for lunch in high school. My host mom packs me so much food, but it is so necessary. On Tuesdays my day starts at 9:30 AM and goes until 9:30 PM. I have to snack throughout the day or I will be in a very bad mood.
Unlike high school, I navigated my way through the city to have a meeting at a new cafe, BROD. The cafe has a huge, sunny patio, a fully stocked bakery, and friendly service that seems welcoming to tourists. I was sad when I was greeted with a "Hi!" instead of an "Hola!," but some may find this comforting. In fact, many people in Mendoza try to speak English to me, especially if I look confused, which is often. The problem is, said person usually tries to say only one word of the sentence in English. My problem is not with knowing the meaning of individual words (although sometimes it is), but understanding the complete thought. It's easier if said person just speaks in Spanish slower and more clearly. With many repetitions.
I ordered Sweet Mint tea at BROD and it was presented to me on this lovely wooden board. I've never had tea served to me this way, with loose leaf and a strainer, so I was confused. I'm not classy enough for this, but I'm learning. At least I knew not to dump the loose leaf tea into the cup.
Turns out it's super easy and I didn't need to put much thought into it. I will definitely be back to try their bakery goodies.

No comments:

Post a Comment