Friday, August 8, 2014

Chicken Dinner and Diversity

I was watching Argentina's version of the Food Network, El Gourmet, when I was surprised to see the sushi chef cleaning the fish on camera. I watch quite a bit of the Food Network back in the US and I don't think I have ever seen one of the chefs put the whole animal on the table and carve out a piece of usable meat. Maybe it's too gruesome for the stomach of your average US citizen. To me, it highlights the lack of connection we have to our food. The piece of meat is coming from a whole animal. Why can't television show the whole animal? Plus it's super helpful to watch someone clean and cut the fish.

So in the midst of me being shocked as the Asian sushi chef, Iwao Komiyama, cuts the head off of the fish, I was even more shocked to see an Asian chef with his own show. Are there any Asian chefs on the Food Network? I think I've seen Rachael Ray or Sandra Lee fry some noodles in a pan, but why are there no Asian chefs?? I'm using general terms here, but I've seen very few East Asian/South Asian/African/latin@/POC/non white/non American chefs on the Food Network. The only people I've seen who appear to identify as such are Sunny Anderson, her husband, and Maneet Chauhan, who is a guest judge on Chopped, meaning she does not have her own show. I could be missing a few, but I'm probably not missing many. What's up with that Food Network?/the rest of the world?

Thanks for being a little more diverse, Argentina. 

Here's what I ate while I watched El Gourmet and pondered transnational racism.
Poached chicken and a cream/oil sauce with carrots and onions.

My plate.

I think I have found a dessert I love even more than dulce de leche: higos. An higo is a fruit, but it comes in a sugary sauce that is seriously irresistible. Also, these plates are so cute.

We have whole walnuts in the house. A few days ago, I took them on a hiking trip and cracked them open with rocks. But last night, I had just finished flossing my teeth when my host mom came in my room with an already cracked walnut. I wasn't even mad.


No comments:

Post a Comment