Thursday, November 27, 2014

Cordoba

Overwhelmed by many things today. I'm leaving my mostly super comfortable host house and the city I know and love to move to the south of Argentina to work on a raspberry farm. This may be one of my last blog posts until next March because I will not be bringing my computer with me when I travel. Many changes are coming my way and, being Thanksgiving, it's the perfect time to reflect on my semester abroad. This is the first time I've been away from my family for Thanksgiving (soon to be the first time I've been away for Christmas and New Year's Day), but I'm looking forward to celebrating with my friends who have become a make-shift family. 

Also important: I went to Cordoba!


Our hostel.

With a rock climbing wall...we definitely never used.

Free breakfast: toast and eggs for days.

Alisa thought the free eggs were already hard boiled.
Bus tour of the city of Cordoba! Colleen looks happy.

Gorgeous church.

Colonial house.

Where's Waldo?
There's a ferris wheel in Cordoba?

Main plaza in front of another church.

Wasn't a huge fan of this museum, but LOVED the fine arts museum.

Can you guess what flavor? Yep, dulce de leche.
We found doughnuts filled with dulce de leche!! Although, they tasted more like bagels.

I was obsessed with this walkway.

Obsession continues...

It's just so cool!!!
Museum of the disappeared. The tribute/museum is located in one of the actual detention centers during the Dirty War.


Pictures of the disappeared.

Eerie lone typewriter in one of the holding cells.


This restaurant, Mega Doner (yes, many jokes were made) was recommended by Lonely Planet for its cheap lunch specials. Sandwiches and fries.


La Cumbrecita
Day trip to La Cumbrecita: hiked to this waterfall.


Flavors: Strudel and flan.

Climbed up and down these rocks to get to the waterfall.






Alta Gracia
Day trip to Alta Gracia

Hanging at the Che museum. Fidel Castro and Hugo Chavez visited in the 90s.
Found chocolate chip cookies in Alta Gracia!!! Still not as good as back home. 

Fried empanadas with chicken filling. We each ate 6 (not a normal person number).



Villa General Belgrano
Day trip to Villa General Belgrano! A little German town.

Maybe the best bread I've had in Argentina.


Cold cuts with potato salad...not my favorite meal.

German sausage, sauerkraut and potato salad. Again, not my favorite.



And now comes my favorite series of photos: friends with food in their mouths.









No comments:

Post a Comment